Monday, April 27, 2009

Paper Topics

I would assume everyone has already at least started their paper, and a few of the more ambitious among us may have even finished it already. Since part of the stated purpose for this blog is to encourage discussion, I thought it might be helpful to post our paper topics here in case any of us are doing parallel research so we can compare notes, help each other out, or maybe even spark ideas for those that haven't started yet or for any undergrads who actually read this thing.
For mine I am covering the religious and religously affiliated characters in the tales.
My thesis is:
The Canterbury Tales’ multiple religious characters, from the tale tellers themselves to characters in their narratives, display a wide range of attributes but share a common theme of a clergy becoming increasingly self-involved and over-indulgent towards the end of the Ricardian era.
In my paper I am hoping to explore how the attitudes of the nobility and their hangers-on (like Chaucer) had begun to shift away from unquestioning loyalty to the traditional Catholic church. I think some of the attitudes and themes Chaucer expresses in the tales are subservisive at worst and "constructively critical" at best against the church and clerical figures.
On a related note, I will not at all be surprised if I'm the only one that's still checking the blog, let alone posting his paper topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment